Skip to main content

Test Cut and Sketch: Silhouette Cameo 3



I just got my Silhouette Cameo 3 last Tuesday from Tees & Prints. Honestly, it took me some time to decide which to get for my craft projects: the Cameo 3 or the Cricut Explore 2. But after some research and looking into forums, I finally decided to get the Silhouette Cameo 3. And I knew it was the right decision when I bought it.



Reasons to Get the Silhouette Cameo 3

It can cut and sketch (yes, as its main function), and it can cut materials up to 2mm thick
It does not rely on internet connection to function (unlike the Cricut Explore Air 2 where you need to be connected to the internet to be able to use the machine). You can still use it even if not connected to the net unless you want to download from the Silhouette Store
You can create your own design on the Silhouette Studio software (and there is also a plugin if you want to use Adobe Illustrator instead)

What’s Included in the Box

When you buy a new set of Silhouette Cameo 3, you get the following:

  • Silhouette Cameo 3 machine
  • Auto-blade
  • 12x12” carrier sheet
  • Adapter and USB cable

The machine has two carriage so you can use a blade and a sketch pen. Or you can use two sketch pens instead.

Now don’t be confused. I found a review a few months ago saying that the Cameo 3 cannot cut thick materials with its blade. Wrong! There are many types of blades for the Cameo 3. The Auto-blade is just one of them and there is a different blade for thicker materials.

Cameo 3 Blade Types:

AUTO-BLADE

The Auto-blade is the one included in the box and your machine automatically selects the correct blade depth when you choose the paper type from the Silhouette Studio software.

DEEP CUT BLADE

The Deep Cut Blade is used for thicker materials as it has a depth of up to 2mm. It is not included in the package and is sold separately. I bought mine from DIY Printing in Binondo for PHP 1,200.00.


FABRIC BLADE

The Fabric Blade is used when cutting fabrics. But since I won’t use fabric in my projects, I did not have to buy this.

There are other Silhouette accessories you can buy separately. I bought a set of sketch pens with eight colors so I could test on its sketch function. I will buy the pen holder next when it is available from DIY Printing so I could try sketching with some markers.



Test Cut and Sketch

So I tried cutting some shapes with fine details, things which my old Craft Robo could not cut. So far, I am satisfied with the result.


For really thin vector path, it is advisable to adjust the nodes a little. Like in the cat die cut, it missed to cut the whiskers because it was too thin like a hairline. I was lazy to adjust the paths so I just let it like that hehe. The paper I used was a textured Binder Cover 300gsm. (Tip: Use new paper/boards for a more precise cut.)


I tried to use the sketch pens and the first sketch was just outline of the text as the machine will only follow where there are vector lines. So if you want the text to be filled with ink, you need to put some vector lines inside each character.


The easier way I’ve learned was to use a feature of the Emboss panel for the Silhouette Curio. Select your text, open the Emboss panel, select the Concentric Pattern icon, then click on Release Emboss. After that, you can now start the machine to sketch and it will fill the texts with color.


This is just an overview of the basic functions of the Silhouette Cameo 3. I’m convinced with this and I love my Cameo 3.

Where To Buy

I bought my unit and accessories from the following stores:

Tees & Prints
Quedsa Building, Quezon Ave. corner EDSA, Quezon City

Silhouette Cameo 3 - PHP 16,000 (But I got discount so I got it for PHP 15,500)

DIY Printing
Yuchengco St., Binondo, Manila
(You may visit their online store)

Silhouette Cameo 3 Deep Cut Blade - PHP 1,200
Silhouette Sketch Pens - PHP 750

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Fuji Xerox CP115w

After searching through the net for practical reviews about printers, I finally decided to buy this compact laser printer, Fuji Xerox CP115w. I was not really satisfied with most online reviews as they usually describe the technical specifications but never the actual usage. So here I decided to come up with my own review based on my actual printing experience. Why Fuji Xerox CP115w? I was looking for an affordable color laser printer with quality print outputs. Based on my experience as a graphic designer, I am very meticulous when it comes to print quality. Only two brands meet my standard: Epson and Fuji Xerox. Epson has laser printers but range from PHP 10,000+ for an A4 size maximum paper handling. So when I found out about CP115w and checked on it online and its availability in stores, I decided that I should go with it. Fuji Xerox CP115w is available in the following stores: 1. Office Warehouse 2. Silicon Valley 3. Octagon I bought mine from Office Warehouse with a re

Bitten By A Cat

I have never imagined that I would need to get anti-rabies vaccine and boosters one day. Last Saturday, I was playing with our pet cat when suddenly she got pissed and bit me on my left hand. I immediately washed my bitten hand with running water and soap. I let it bleed because that is what people say when you are bitten by an animal. They say it would let the bacteria out, though I was not really sure about it. I even put on crushed garlic on my wound. Two hours later, I went to the FEU-NRMF ER with my fiance to have my wound checked, just to be safe. The doctor cleaned my wound and a few minutes later I was given some injections: Anti-rabies vaccine (Verorab) and Tetanus Toxoid. I was also tested for skin allergy for 30 minutes before they gave me the Anti-Tetanus vaccine. So here how it goes, in case anyone is bitten by an animal. When one is bitten by an animal, whether it is vaccinated or not, wash the wound immediately with soap and water, and go to the nearest ER or Anima

Printing with Fuji Xerox CP115w

Printing with CP115w On my previous article about the Fuji Xerox CP115w color laser printer, I mentioned the things I like and not like about it, and the features that I hope it could do. One of the things that I hope this printer could do is to handle thicker paper/board. It is only limited to 163 gsm paper weight. So if anyone is printing on 200+ gsm paper using this printer, expect that it cannot even pick up the paper into its rollers. Here are the following brands and weights that I have tried printing with the CP115w and wouldn’t work: Sonoma 230gsm Olympia Metallic 230gsm Zanzibar 230gsm But it could print (though with some effort) on the following papers: Imari Coated Papers 200gsm/250gsm Zanzibar 200gsm The Imari Papers, though seem heavier in weight, appears thin compared to the other boards and can get through the printer without hassle. Consumables The consumables available in the Philippine market are the standard ones and mostly are available in Of